Mould making and casting workshops provide students with hands on experience creating a mould of your chosen sculpture.
Materials are provided for you to use as we cover the best methods for creating a mould using the appropriate silicones for your object.
Previous short courses I have run include:
Beginner mould making: The “Poured Mould’’ technique
Duration: 1 day
Bring along a small sculpture (H150mm x W80mm or smaller) and in this one day class we will cover:
- How to make a moulding box out of common household products
- How to set up a small sculpture for best casting outcomes
- Learning about appropriate silicones and how to mix and pour a mould
- Creating a resin cast from your mould to take home.
Intermediate mould making: The “Painted Mould” technique
Duration: 3 days
In this 3 day class, you will bring along your approx. 200-500mm sculpture
- You will set up the mould for best casting outcomes
- You will learn how to apply multiple layers of silicone to build up a painted mould.
- You will learn how to make a muti part, plaster casting to support your mould
- You will learn how to ‘crack’ the mould and cut it open to allow for good casting.
Life casting: Face mould and cast
Duration: 1 day
In teams of two, we will learn the ins and outs of life casting.
- We will learn about skin safe moulding products, safety procedures, and other important factors when taking a face cast.
- We will each create a face mould; and then a plaster cast.
This class may be of particular interest to those interested in prosthetics as the cast can be used as a base to fit re usable makeup onto. Check out the Life Casting gallery for some examples of work.
Upcoming workshops can be found here.